As per the provisions of the the Constitutional Document for the Transitional Period of 2019, Prime Minister, Dr. Abdullah Hamadok has made the decision to form an independent investigation commission consisting of 7 members as follows:
- Supreme Court Judge (President)
- Representative of the Ministry of Justice (Rapporteur)
- Representative of the Ministry of Defense (Member)
- Representative of the Ministry of Interior (Member)
- Independent national figure (member)
- 2 Independent lawyers (members).
The commission will have all the investigatory powers contained in the Commissions of Inquiry Act 1954. It has the right to seek the help of whoever it deems useful, including African support and grievances from the victims and the families of martyrs as well as legal representatives.
The commission will complete it s work within 3 months, but it has the right to extend the period to 3 more months if need be.
The commission will operate independently from any governmental, judicial or legal body.
The names of the members will be announced soon.